วันพุธที่ 13 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2559

I'm a History Lover

Hi, my name is Tucky. Recently, I've been on a quest in an attempt to find my passion, and then I stumbled on the topic of history! Yes, what else could it be? I've been reading (or rather being read to) about history since I was 5 or 6. Well, the main reason is that history books are often filled with captivating and colourful pictures. And kids love pictures, and so that's how my passion for history began (from a few pages of colourful artifacts, who could have guessed?). At that time, I couldn't read a word of English, and my dad had to do all the reading for me (translating on the spot into my native tongue - a task he admitted was painstakingly tormenting lol). Therefore, he decided that I should be the one doing all the reading for myself, and thus began my overseas education program that would last for 12 years (I spent a good chunk of my life in Sydney, Australia, for 12 years). I acquired a high level of proficiency in English, and here I am now doing all the reading for myself.

As I got older, I found that pictureless books weren't that unattractive. I picked up Latin in my high school, and Roman history became my forte (imagine all the Latin sources I was exposed to, including the Annals of Imperial Rome by Tacitus). I started reading extensively on Julius Caesar, Pompey the Great, Marcus Crassus, Cicero, Mark Antony, Octavian and other prominent figures. I also read several historical fictions on this period (among other periods). Naturally, most of blogs will be dedicated to recounting the tale of the Roman Republic in its decline, the first and second Triumvirates, the assassination of Julius Caesar, the fateful battle of Actium and the prosperous Augustan Age.

Another alluring period of history which I found equally captivating is Middle Age England. I am fortunate to have visited this beautiful country, filled with all the stuff that a history maniac would love such as castles, monolithic structures, grave sites, ancient abbeys and monasteries and thousands more (and of course, the Loch Ness Monster in Scotland!). Just as I did with ancient Rome, I began reading extensively on this period of history, mainly from the point of the Norman Invasion in 1066 onward. My main interests however are the beginning of the Hundred Year War with France which broke out during the reign of Edward III of the Plantagenet Dynasty up till the end of the War of the Roses, with the rise of the House of York and accession of Edward IV as the King of England.

Of course, I won't be only concentrating on these two periods mentioned above. I'll be most definitely spice things up by throwing a few more up in my blogs (hopefully!). This includes ancient Egypt and Greece and few dozen more (mostly in the area around the Mediterranean). Nor is history my only passion. Mythology and languages are also fortes, and I'll be most happy to include these as well from time to time when I feel like it. Who could refuse all those fanciful tales about the mighty Thor and his hammer, the naughty Loki, the almighty Zeus, the tempestuous Poseidon, the merciful Isis, and the sly Seth. Nor can we ignore those powerful heroes that have inspired our imagination for many centuries. Anyway, that should be enough to give you a heads up of what you are about to face in my blog, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

1 ความคิดเห็น:

  1. Should you have any idea about what I should write (any topic that interests you), or wish to discuss with me about history, mythology or any other miscellaneous topics, email me at anytime to tucky-7777@hotmail.com

    ตอบลบ